*Roadworks on A33
A33 Ringway/Crockford Lane and Binfields Roundabouts
Hampshire County Council is starting works on 7 August to construct a £10.6 million package of highway improvements to increase capacity and help reduce congestion on the A33 in Basingstoke, between the Ringway and Great Binfields Lane roundabouts.
The improvements to and between Ringway, Crockford and Great Binfields roundabouts include:
- Widening the existing approach roads
- Widening of the roundabouts
- Installing traffic signals on the roundabouts
- Upgrading the existing pedestrian and cycle facilities
- Upgrading and increasing the capacity of the local drainage system
The works will also include measures to address the root cause of localised flooding between the Crockford and Binfields roundabouts, with the adjacent pond under the railway bridge widened and lined to improve its capacity and help reduce instances of future flooding.
A 'Meet the Contractor' event was held on Wednesday 2 August. This was an opportunity to meet representatives from Hampshire County Council and Dyer & Butler to view details about the scheme, its construction, traffic management phases and the likely impacts and mitigations put in place to minimise disruption. If you were unable to attend this event, the display materials and contact details will be available to view at the scheme webpage.
Additional delays should be expected during the course of the works and residents and visitors should allow more time to complete their journeys. Every effort will be made to minimise the impact of the works and the following measures are being introduced to better inform travel and help reduce delay.
- The existing number of traffic lanes will remain open during weekday peak times.
- Full road closures will only be allowed on selected weekends or weekday night-times – and advanced notice will be given to residents and businesses.
- Use of variable message signs to warn of congestion hot-spots
- Use of CCTV cameras to better manage traffic with images accessible from the ROMANSE Website